Volunteers play an important role in helping us to help others in our Community. We have volunteering opportunities in many established areas listed below, or perhaps you have a skill or talent that you would like to share with a group.
Bus Drivers and Bus Care Assistants
The Hut operates and manages two community buses on behalf of the Adelaide Hills Council
The Hut provides drivers and helpers on the buses for:
- Weekly and monthly shopping trips
- Weekly mystery trip outings
- Transport to Seniors Centre
- Transport to social groups
- Community events e.g. Christmas pageant, voting
Both buses are also available for not for profit community groups within the AHC region, when not being used for existing programs and can be driven with a car licence.
Volunteers bus drivers must:
- Hold a current and unrestricted South Australian drivers licence which must be viewed before the volunteer is able to drive.
- Successfully demonstrate the necessary skills to operate the community buses by undertaking an orientation drive with an experienced volunteer driver
- Indicate on their application form any accidents, convictions or suspension of licence in the last 5 years and any medical, health condition or disability which could restrict driving activities.
The bus helpers assist passengers on and off the buses, provide them with customer service during the trip, give attention to any social needs that they may have, e.g. ordering lunch, assist with comfort.
Program and Activity Co-ordinators and Assistants
The Hut runs many programs and activities, mostly organised by volunteer co-ordinators and assisted by volunteer helpers. Some of the programs and activities are:
- Aldgate Valley Food Co-Op
- Blokes Club
- Caring in Our Community
- Emergency assistance
- Hills NILS (No Interest Loan Scheme)
- Community Shed
- Music Makers
- Out & About Group
- Personal transport (Part of CiC)
- Tax Help
- The Club (social)
The administration duties include reception, general office and administrative duties, and program administration.
These positions act as the front line contact for The Hut Community Centre and we pride ourselves on excellent customer service, fast and accurate responses to queries, and responding to the needs of the local community, Hut users and individuals, in a courteous and professional manner.
Health and Fitness Programs
The Hut runs the following health and fitness programs:
- Bounce Fitness Classes
- Community Fun and Fitness
- Move It (connecting people with community exercise programs)
- Strength & Balance classes
- Walking groups
- Chair Yoga
Although most of these programs are run by professional instructors, assistants may be needed to help with the administration and smooth running of the programs.
- ACE courses (Adult Community Education)
- Computer training (1:1)
The Book Shed sells secondhand (pre-loved) books as both a service to local readers and as a means of raising funds to enable The Hut Community Centre to meet community needs.The Book Shed Volunteer assists the Book Shed Co-ordinator in the selling of the books, stacking shelves, and any other reasonable tasks requested.
Book Shed volunteers must have good customer service skills and enjoy reading.
Skill or Talent You Would Like to Share
The Hut is always looking at expanding activities and programs to run in the Community. Perhaps you have a skill or talent that others might like to learn. Why not contact the Volunteer Recruitment Officer – firstname.lastname@example.org with a proposal.